Thursday 10 October 2013

In My Retirement ..... October

I'm back! After a break of three months during which I worked my way through some unexpected low times following my retirement - I'm feeling well again! I can't begin to tell you how wonderful that is!

Recently on my food blog Apricot Tart, I participated in a monthly series named 'In My Kitchen' hosted by Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. I so enjoyed reading the blog posts of  all the contributing bloggers,and contributing my own. It really got me thinking about the importance and value of sharing with others.

It has inspired me to begin a monthly series here documenting 'In My Retirement' as a way of celebrating the joys of retirement and the many positive changes it has bought to my life. Thanks so much for the inspiration, Celia!

For my inaugral post I have selected a range of diverse and flexible headings to start me on this journey of reflection and appreciation. What else would you add?

Where I live

In my retirement I live in one of the most livable cities in the world - beautiful Adelaide, South Australia. In October the roses everywhere are blooming - making Adelaide the 'Rose capital of Adelaide'. These roses ramble gloriously over our front fence.



Garden

In my retirement I'm finding time to spend in the garden. My wonderful husband has built me this raised garden bed in a previously non-productive area of the garden. I've planted thyme, basil, bush beans, capsicum, a chilli bush, an eggplant, silver beet and cucmbers in this small space! I'll let you know how they go!



Travel

In my retirement it is a pleasure not be tied to work timetables. We were able to secure really cheap plane flights to and from Melbourne flying off peak and with minimal luggage ie carry on luggage only!






Health and Wellbeing

In my retirement I have the time to really focus on improving my health. I have found personal training to be by far the most effective way to increase my aerobic fitness, strength and flexibility. My personal  trainers Nick and Sarah at InBody Health and Fitness have me work harder each week than I ever believed possible! I love it! It makes me feel alive, strong and young again!!!! Pictured is my current goal written on the goals board in their gym - I've just three kilos to go! I'm doing it!!!




Products and Services

With a less frantic lifestyle, in my retirement I'm going to try tri-focal glasses. I'm hoping I will no longer have to fumble around in my bag for three pairs of glasses - for reading, driving and sunnies.




 Food

In my retirement I have time to cook! Yesterday's healthy and tasty lunch was Hamburger with the lot! Served on toasted grainy bread the pork and veal patty I made was topped with bacon, caramelised onions, an egg, grated fresh carrot and beetroot and oakleaf lettuce fresh from the garden. The base was spread with tomato sauce while a dollop of tartare sauce was placed on top. It was so good!




Drinks

In my retirement I'd like to say I'd been enjoying fine wine but I'm really working hard on losing those last hard to lose kilos - 5 of them! With no fuss at all this simple soda stream turns tap water into instant 'bubbles'! And that keeps me drinking water!!!




Fun

The luxury of spending fun filled time with our family is special in my retirement. I recently attended a beautiful brunch at Two Beans and a Farm, Mernda, Victoria. This sign in the carpark had me on high alert! Yes, I'm scared of those things!







Shopping

In my retirement I'm finding my wardrobe needs are really different! I'm looking to replace the killer heels I wore to work with some stylish sandals!





Indulgence

In my retirement I've found that one of the things I can't go without is my monthly nail appointment. My natural nails crack and split and are just aweful, so it is one special indulgence I will allow myself.



Special Moment

 I loved this playdough person which the grandson who made it said was 'Granny'! I think the sparkling colours truly represent how I'm feeling in my retirement! I'm back to feeling great!



How's your October? I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers!

M

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marian
    Wow your retirement is just like mine - you have time, time is such a precious commodity. I have time for a vegie patch, time to cook, time to take photos and play with photoshop, time to read and time to do nothing. These are all things I didn't have time for before. :) How wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenda!
    I can't believe how similar our stories, likes and interests are - kindred spirits indeed!

    I loved your blog - and have followed you - so I'm looking forward to reading about the wonderful things you are doing in retirement! It certainly is a wonderful time of life.

    Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am following your retirement posts with interest Marian, as my own is looming! I can hardly wait, my friend. Love this post! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Liz! It's hard to describe just how sweet it is! Yes, there are challenges - but it is the most wonderful of all career changes!

    Thanks so much for your encouragement! xox

    ReplyDelete